This is my how manyth post today? I've lost count. Second? Third?
I'm being abit obsessive aren't I? Hehe. Ah well.
I had the longest conversation with my father in ages. I can't remember the last time the two of us talked, you know. It's not like we avoid each other, or we can't get along or anything along those lines, but my dad's the quiet sort.
He likes teasing my younger siblings, disturbing them and all, but not really talking to us one on one. The only form of interaction we have is me poking his stomach saying he's getting fat or tugging on his white hair saying he's old, and him replying I've a bulbous nose ( I do not! )
Okay, so that doesn't give the impression we hardly talk. But when I say that, I mean, really talk about something. Having a proper conversation. And we had that. I'm so pleased.
We were eating dinner, my parents and I, in the kitchen. As usual, we were bickering and generally have a very light conversation. Then my mother went to check on my brothers, and I asked my dad what it was he feared.
Somehow, the topic became all about fear itself, and death, and why is it us humans fear it really. It sounds deep, well, maybe it was. But it was nice. It's like talking to Amal you know, we have this sort of conversations all the time. Not just circulating around death of course, but that's just one of the topics.
It feels nice being able to communicate with your dad. I've no problems with my mom, we've always been able to get along. I forcefully tell her what's going on in my life ( By forcefully, I mean I tail her all around the house reciting whatever it is I have to say incessantly until she asks me to bug off, or I'm done. Sometimes she shuts the door in my face:D But that's only sometimes) and she dumps her load on me too.
So it began, and I enjoyed it really. We finally have a common place, my father and I. I knew from my mother my father and I are kindred souls, we like the same things, dislike the same things, we're actually frighteningly similar in lots of ways ( I even look like him too, so that mean he has a bulbous nose as well! )
Still, it's always pleasurable knowing that first hand, don't you think?
Here's to hoping for many more insightful conversations in the near ( and far ) future with my dad:D
I still can't come up with anything for yearbook!!! So frustrating!